The Dance program at VSU is a highly competitive and successful program offering a Bachelors of Fine Arts and minor programs Admission to the Dance program requires an audition and acceptance to the program is one step beyond acceptance to the University. Please see the link on this page for auditions for more information
All students who intend to pursue the B.F.A. with a major in Dance must audition for the purpose of admission into the program. Auditions are regularly hosted on campus and at major Dance events such as the National High School Dance Festival.
Students entering the University directly from high school must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or better on all course work undertaken in order to continue as Theatre and Dance majors. If in any given semester a student's overall GPA falls below 2.0, the student will have one semester (fall or spring) to bring it back up to or above 2.0. If the overall GPA remains below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters, the student will be requested to change majors. Any student who fails to respond to that request will automatically be transferred to an undeclared major status.
Students who enter the University as transfer students who wish to continue a major in Theatre or Dance must have a GPA of at least 2.0 on all course work undertaken. Upon acceptance as a major, a student must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA as described above.
Students changing majors from another program within the University must also have at least a 2.0 overall GPA to transfer to the Theatre or Dance major, and they will be subject to the same maintenance requirements already described.
Skills you will learn
As a major in the Dance program you will:
- learn critical thinking, problem-solving, planning and organization.
- work with deadlines.
- learn teamwork.
- develop perseverance, self-discipline, and patience while developing physical stamina and creative abilities.
- receive formal training in multiple dance disciplines.
- develop a broad understanding of music, literature, history, and other arts to help interpret ideas and feelings in dance.
- develop an understanding of music, costuming, and staging.
Employment opportunities for Dance graduates include:
- Performer (e.g., theatre, cruise ships, resorts, casinos, theme parks)
- Arts Management
- Promotion and Event Planning
- Public Relations